Bardsley's Shop and Accommodation House, 1886, Bridge Street 24. Trickett's General Store, 1910, Cnr Hill and Bridge Streets
22. Store 1890 Hill Street

Constructed using Uralla red brick for Mrs Elizabeth Cooper. First leased by J. Watts and used as a roller skating rink (note the small ticket-seller's window in the eastern wall) and later by Obadiah Carter as a general store. The original awning and posts have been removed, but not, as rumour has it, by wayward skaters.

 
23. Store, 1872, Cnr Hill and Bridge Streets

Rear section destroyed by fire in 1885, exposing the back wall of rubble basalt. This building has had many uses over the years. The recent superb rebuilding of the verandah awning, by Peter Feitz of Rocky River, perfectly complements the 1920 facade

 
24. Trickett's General Store, 1910, Cnr Hill and Bridge Streets

Mr C.E. Solomons, a local businessman, built the corner portion, with its impressive Victorian Italianate decorative parapet. This building was purchased by Fred Trickett in 1920 and extended further along Bridge Street. Fred was a son of Ned "The Slab" Trickett, World Champion Sculler 1876-1880, Australia's first international sporting champion. (See "Trickett's Triumph", an exhibition at McCrossins Mill Museum.)

 

25. Bardsley's Shop and Accommodation House, 1886, Bridge Street

Built as a general store with family accommodation on the first floor, for Thomas Bardsley. The builder was Mr Elliott and the bricklayer R. Anderson. The private entrance is seen on the right side. This later became the entrance to a billiard room. (Note sign on the southern wall.) The Wallace family later began their business career in Uralla in this shop, whilst raising a family of twelve children. The footpath verandah was removed, leaving a balcony featuring cast iron columns and lace.