|46. Literary Institute,
1910, Bridge Street
Built by C. G. Cooper in 1910 and licensed as the
Tattersalls Hotel. In 1920, the interior was gutted by fire
and abandoned. The Uralla sub-branch of the RSL, the
trustees of the old Literary Institute and members of the
Country Women's Association had the derelict rebuilt in 1927
and officially recognised as a First World War Memorial
Literary Institute. More billiards and books for blokes!
Licensed clubs, with their billiards, booze and one-armed
bandits, put an end to that well-intentioned institution.
Oddfellows Hall, 1888, Bridge Street
Built for the United Order of Oddfellows as a meeting place and
public hall. The centre of the parapet is decorated with the lodge
symbols, and urns surmount the end columns. Note the ticket seller s
window to the left of the entrance door. It was Uralla's main venue
for concerts and dances for many years, and, on regular occasions,
various odd fellows settled their differences out the back.