brick construction on a granite rubble base, it was built by
Alderman W. Gibson as the residence for his "Steam Aerated Water and
Cordial Factory" which was situated next door. The local foundry
still has the hand-carved cedar patterns used to cast the iron
lacework. Described in an 1887 issue of the Uralla Times as a
"commodious brick residence", an extensive sympathetic addition was
built almost exactly one hundred years later by Brendan and Cheryl
Hotel, c. 1860, Cnr Bridge and King Streets
First registered by the Allingham brothers as "The Ship And Anchor"
Hotel in 1860, the rear of this building is still supported upon
round timber bearers adzed flat on the top to receive floor boards.
Uralla is a long way from the ocean, so the publican who named his
establishment "The Ship And Anchor" must have been drinking the
stuff instead of selling it.