|26 Maitland Street, 1885
This quaint cottage, of Uralla brick on granite and basalt
footings, features a front verandah with cast iron lace frieze under
a concave galvanized iron roof
The front door has exquisite etched glass. The cottage was
sympathetically extended in 1977 using "sawn slab and batten"
construction, typical of many humble houses in the area in the
| 5 Elizabeth Lane,
Of red Uralla brick, creatively
enlarged in 2002 using bricks from the demolished 1880 s Gostwyck
Municipal Council building in King Street.
|Nos. 35 and 37 Maitland
The only pair of
two-storey semi-detached houses in the New England area still
existing. The houses are identical, although "mirror reversed." The
austere verandah is capped with bull-nose galvanized iron. The only
other similar local houses were in Armidale, but were demolished in
1975 to provide a concrete parking area for a petrol station!
|16. "Foxwood", 1891, 31
Built by Uralla
builder Mr Ford, "Foxwood" is rich in the architectural detail of
the Victorian era... complete first floor verandah frieze of cast
iron lace, ornamental cast iron columns with decorative brackets,
ornamental window surrounds, splendid door, door knocker,
sidelights, and a front wall which has tuck-pointing painted on in
what was the peculiar fashion of the time. To the rear of this
elegant house are two timber buildings, on the left the servants'
quarters and on the right the bathroom, ensuring that all the dirt
was kept outside!