|47 ~ "Goddard
Cottage", c .l860, Queen Street
building facing the street was originally sited with its verandah
aligned to the footpath of what was then the Main Northern Road.
Uralla's oldest existing cottage, it had deteriorated to a condition
of being unfit for human habitation. In 1988, it was carefully
dismantled by Kent Mayo, then rebuilt on piers. The boundaries of
the present front lawn are formed by the huge adzed tree trunks that
were the original footings for this quaint cottage. The other
structure is an 1880s "kit home", relocated from a rural property by
architect Peter Myers in 1980. Henry Sheldon Goddard, who came to
Uralla to install the machinery in McCrossin's Mill, lived here for
a time. Note the original street gutters made of columnar basalt
from Mt Beef.
|48. 31 Queen
Street, c. 1880
Humble Victorian cottage in almost original condition,
consisting of one bedroom, parlour, and kitchen. Built close
to the street to avoid the watercourse at the rear.