32 ~ St. Joseph's Church,
c.1881, Bridge Street, Convent and School, c.1886-1912
This fine old church is built of red brick lain in English Bond upon
a rubble granite foundation. The front features lancet stained glass
windows crowned by a glass roundel. The steeply pitched gable roof
has concrete capping and distinctive concrete crosses. The
delightful stained glass windows are memorials to pioneer families.
The turret tower once supported a conical spire. Note the 1914-18
War Memorial on the gate posts. The school buildings have been
recently restored and refurbished. There is an interesting dialogue,
probably originally in Latin, between the buildings in their
composition of styles.